Theragun G3PRO Review 2020 – Is It Worth It?
Chronic pain from an injury led Dr. Jason Wersland to invent the Theragun.
It‘s one of the leading brands of percussion massager in the market; their flagship model, the Theragun G3 PRO, is a hit with athletes, personal trainers, and social media influencers.
Recovery, pain management, and wellness can get expensive even with some at home options.
The G3PRO’s pricier than some of the other options in the market and boasts many upgrades from its previous version.
But does it justify the price tag?
In this review, we‘ll be digging deep into the G3PRO’s features and what it can do to help you decide whether worth it or not.
What Is The Theragun G3PRO percussive therapy massager?
The G3PRO is the latest version from the Theragun reviews percussive massager product line.
The brand is the most well-known of the percussive massagers out in the market with its first version released over a decade ago.
The device was designed and invented by a chiropractor to deal with his chronic pain from a motorcycle injury.
The G3PRO focuses on 2 actions: activation and recovery.
Activation deals with waking up the muscles, which is essentially warming the muscles up before strenuous activity, or training, in order to avoid strain.
The muscles are kept active by increasing blood flow, easing the soreness and stiffness, and initiating muscle firing especially in large muscle groups like the IT bands or the glutes.
Keeping the muscles active prevents the muscles from tightening and spasming.
Recovery happens after a workout and the G3PRO will help to soothe the soreness and give pain relief.
It also helps to heal previous injuries by breaking up scarring in the muscle and keeping the blood flowing within the muscles for faster myofascial release.
The original design for the thermagun G1 was based on Dr. Jason Wersland’s work as a chiropractor.
The newest versions— G3PRO, G3, and the Liv have been improved on in terms of ergonomic design, percussion speed, and usability.
The latest incarnation of the Theragun is optimally calibrated for the best possible results. The motor has been given a boost in terms of power but the sound it makes is lessened by 50%.
Continued use of the G3PRO will lead to improved performance as an athlete.
What‘s really good about pain-relief with the G3PRO is it’s all natural, using the body‘s internal pain signaling to relax.
No expensive and harmful pain meds to deal with.
This video will give you a really good idea of what the Theragun G3 Review is and what you can expect.
Where Do You Use The Theragun G3PRO?
Use the G3PRO wherever there is a pain.
A look at the partner app, available from the App Store and the Play Store, shows that the percussion massager can be useful in treating elbow tendonitis, bursitis in the lower back and hips, carpal tunnel, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, tech neck, and tight shoulders.
Aside from the general aches and pains, the G3PRO is great in activating muscles before a workout and relaxing the muscles after a workout to limit the pain.
These muscles are found in the upper body— chest, deltoids, forearm, hands, lower back, neck, upper arms, and the upper back.
Let‘s not forget the lower body with the adductors, calves, feet, glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, quads, and IT Bands.
When treating muscle pain, it’s best to not overdo the massage. A sore muscle will not lose its painfulness if you keep poking at it.
Muscle activation and re-activation should be limited to 15-30 seconds per area.
While pain relief and recovery should not go beyond 2 minutes per area or you could risk more soreness or developing a bruise.
Who Is The Theragun G3PRO Built For?
The brand goes by the tagline “designed by professional, made for everybody.”
It’s very appropriate because comfort and pain relief is for everyone.
Although it’s targeted towards professional athletes and Olympians, anybody who can afford the hefty price tag is a potential user.
More on the price tag later.
The G3PRO is used by chiropractors, trainers, physical therapists, massage therapists, and instructors and can be found in wellness centers, gyms, and clinics.
G3PRO’s popularity has given it a strong following among professional and amateur athletes.
Kyrie Irving was famously spotted getting a spot treatment during a game in the 2017 NBA finals.
What Are The Benefits of Using A Theragun G3PRO?
Similar to our previous review of the TimTam Power Massager, the G3PRO brings a lot of benefits to its users.
- It stabilizes the muscles and increases the range of motion in the arms, lateral muscles, and, rotator cuffs.
- It wakes the muscles of the body. This is especially useful for people who sit for long periods. Use the G3PRO on the glutes to re-activate the muscles.
- Stretches and warms up the muscle avoiding muscle strain and injury. Whatever you do— whether you deadlift 300 pounds, practice yoga poses, or take care of your kids— your muscles need warming up so you avoid injury.
- Helps block pain signals from reaching the brain. Get pain relief— sciatica, your lower back, or your neck; a few minutes with the G3PRO and pain will be managed.
- Relaxes inflamed and tight muscles by increasing blood flow to by working your IT bands. Encourages proper joint alignment in the knees and ankles, lessening the stress impact
- Decreases the pressure on the neck, 60 pounds of it, from constantly looking down on smartphones or hunching over laptops.
- Relaxes the overworked muscles due to repetitive strain like in the overuse of the arm and wrist to work a mouse or runner‘s knee for joggers.
- Revives grip strength in the hands and fires up the muscles that you prefer to use when you open a door or reach for the shelves.
- Treats even sensitive areas with arthritis with their scientifically calibrated lighter percussion speed.
Summary Of Theragun G3PRO Benefits
To summarize, the benefits of the Theragun are:
- Increases blood flow
- Decreases lactic acid and helps lymph drainage reach optimum level
- Interrupts the pain cycle in the brain
- Relaxes muscles stiffness and spasms
- Helps to overcome muscle fatigue, tightness, knots, and soreness
- Speeds up muscle recovery and repair microtears
- Provides natural stress and pain relief
You can find more information about the benefits of percussion massage from our article.
What Do You Get When You Buy The Theragun?
- The G3PRO percussive therapy device. The unit features an industrial-grade Japanese motor encased in a professional-grade plastic frame. The motor is capable of producing a force of up to 60 pounds and 2 variable speed settings of 29 percussions per second (PPS) for the low setting and 40 PPS for the highest setting. The device weighs 3.1 pounds.
- Six pro attachments that easily snap on and off. The attachments are made out of antimicrobial, non-porous PU foam. Sweat, oils, massage lotions and gel are easily washed or wiped off.
- 1 Dampener attachment— This tip is a lot softer and has more give. It’s designed that way for use in the more bony areas and sore spots of the body. Use the Dampener tip when you do not need as much force to treat your muscle groups. It measures 54 mm x 39.5 mm.
- 1 Large Ball attachment— This tip is precisely engineered for large muscle groups like the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. It measures 66 mm x 66 mm.
- 1 Standard Ball attachment— as the name implies, it’s what comes attached to the percussive device when it ships out. It is precision-designed to work for any body part and measures 48 mm x 37.4 mm.
- 1 Wedge attachment— This is a special tip used specifically for scraping, flushing, and treatment of IT bands from the pelvis to the shin bone, and the shoulder blades as well. This attachment is similar to the tools and techniques used in Graston massage.
- 1 Thumb attachment— A tip specially designed for massages that require thumb pressure like the lower back and in areas that require trigger point therapy.
- 1 Cone attachment— This attachment is designed for trigger point and pinpoint muscle treatment. It is especially helpful for use in small muscle groups.
- The unit comes with a zippered attachment pouch to store all your G3PRO’s attachments.
- Two rechargeable 16-Volt batteries provide a continuous power supply by alternating charging and using the batteries. The batteries are easily interchangeable with one press to eject, and then slide a new battery and click into place.
- One charging station, cord and power supply. It takes 75 minutes to fully charge the battery which will provide 75 minutes of power, more than enough for multiple sessions.
A premium travel case with compartments for all the parts of the percussion massager. The material is cloth-like but holds its shape. The case is the size of a small briefcase and weighs 9.5 pounds when everything is packed inside.
Outline Of Product Inclusions
- Here’s a wrap up of all that you’ll get when you buy the percussive gadget:
- One G3PRO percussive treatment gadget
- Six expert connections – Dampener, Large Ball, Standard Ball, Wedge, Thumb, and Cone
- One connection pocket
- Two battery-powered 16-Volt batteries
- One charging station, line and force gracefully
- An excellent travel case.
Theragun G3PRO’s Other Available Accessories
Extra frill you can purchase are:
- G3PRO battery – The G3PRO accompanies 2 batteries however Theragun offers batteries that you can buy on the off chance that you need an additional force source. It takes 75 minutes to completely charge a battery. When charged, it has a battery life of 75 minutes.
- Charging Stand – Theragun will be discharging a charging stand that can charge your G3PRO’s battery without expelling it from the unit. It likewise functions as your unit’s dock when you are not utilizing it.
Each Theragun G3PRO buy has a 1-year constrained guarantee.
There are as of now 3 new models accessible from Theragun – G3PRO, G3, and the Liv.
The Pros: The Advantages Of The Theragun G3PRO
- Smaller and lightweight
- Proficient evaluation quality plastic for the gadget body
- Simple snap-on and snap-off connection substitution
- Versatile and convenient
- Improved battery life
- Back rub arm can be balanced 4 different ways
- Ergonomic plan and adjusted weight
- Accompanies a total arrangement of six connections
- All the more impressive engine yet with half less clamor
- Straightforward on and off switch
- The engine is still boisterous
- Premium cost
- More power is required to change the situation of the customizable exchanging arm
- It’s smaller and lightweight. The plan is smooth, ergonomic and minimal. No squandered space here. At 3.3 pounds it’s light. At the point when you pack everything (machine, charger, connections, extras and so on) into a movement case it weighs around 9 pounds.
- Proficient evaluation quality plastic for the packaging. You can truly observe the quality in the development – from the plan to the last item. This is an item that can deal with consistent day by day use and you realize it will last.
- Change connection tips with a simple snap-on, a snap-off flick of the wrist. There are metal rollers on the connection and on the arm of the percussion massager. This permits the connections to snap on and off effectively, with no strings to screw and unscrew. Makes changing tips extremely speedy.
- Versatile and compact. All parts and frill pack cozily into a conveying case so you can take your G3PRO with you anyplace. The case is about the size of a 13″ PC. The gadget itself is 3.1 pounds, 9.5 in the event that you remember everything for the pack.
- Improved battery life. The G2 battery life 45 minutes. The G3PRO accompanies 2 Li-Ion batteries from Samsung with a joined charge of 150 minutes. There is likewise a battery power pointer along the pole where the battery goes that shows how much does a Theragun cost force you have left. This is incredible for specialists that need a percussion massager all throughout the whole day.
- Back rub arm can be balanced in 4 different ways. Reach over 90% of your body with the customizable back rub arm which you can change the points of. Go from a straight 180°, 150°, 120°, to the standard 90°.
- Ergonomic plan and adjusted weight let you hold the gadget from any side of the triangle without adding worry to your arm.
- Accompanies a total arrangement of six connections. There is no compelling reason to purchase extra connections to finish your tip set, it’s as of now complete.
- All the more remarkable modern evaluation Japanese engine however with half less clamor. Beside clamor decrease, the additional force and force is reflected in the option of 2 speed settings – Standard with 40 PPS and Sensitive with 29 PPS.
- Basic on and off switch. Turn it on with a press of a switch and another press to control off. This liberates your fingers to more readily hold and control of the weight you apply to the zone kneaded.
The Disadvantages Of The Theragun G3PRO
Here are a couple of zones the Theragun could be improved.
- The engine is still noisy. One of the most advertised highlights of the G3PRO was the diminished commotion the engine makes. While the clamor has been diminished from the past model it’s still truly noisy.
- Sticker stun. The Theragun is more costly than its rivals; in any case, you are getting what you pay for (amazing, enduring, long battery life, and so on). For me my wellbeing is fundamental and the life span of the percussion massager is very significant. It’s simply a question of what’s critical to you. Different things to factor in is how frequently will you utilize the gadget? Is it accurate to say that you are utilizing it for individual use or for work? In the event that you needn’t bother with the long battery life and won’t utilize the machine a great deal you could take a gander at a lower-cost elective the TimTam Power Massager, which is 33% of the cost of the G3PRO.
- The flexible exchanging arm is difficult to change starting with one position then onto the next. This is certainly not a serious deal, only a greater amount of an inconvenience. In the G2 model is was extremely simple to switch the places of the arm (90° to 180° and the other way around), yet the G3 model isn’t. I saw the G3 requires more power to move the arm. I incline toward the G2 style actually, yet again this is only a greater amount of an inconvenience than all else.
Step by step instructions to Use The Percussion Massager
The G3PRO is basic and simple to utilize. It accompanies a manual when you purchase a unit and there is likewise a downloadable application for Android or iOS where you’ll discover significant hints and bit by bit instructional exercises.
Verify whether the batteries need charging. Slide the battery in and turn the gadget on. Select the speed setting you incline toward Standard or Sensitive–by squeezing the switch catch, and spot gadget against the muscle zone you need to treat.
For actuation before an exercise or physical movement, float the G3 PRO theragun over the muscles you need to “wake up” for 30 seconds.
You can likewise utilize the G3PRO during your exercises to re-initiate the muscles and soothe exhaustion and spasms. Skim the G3PRO over tired muscles for 15 seconds to re-invigorate.
For recuperation after an exercise or relief from discomfort, utilize the G3PRO on muscle gatherings and zones of the body for 2 minutes max. Augment the advantage of your back rub by utilizing the right tip connection to target distinctive muscle gatherings.
Here’s are a few hints on the correct connection to use for a particular body part:
- Utilize the Dampener to treat excruciating spots like plantar fasciitis and your neck, or hard territories like shin braces and your wrists.
- The Wedge is extraordinary to use on the shoulders and glutes with the wide, level edge covering more muscle with each pass. It’s likewise extraordinary for bicep tendonitis and loosening up the IT groups.
A decent guideline to follow is to utilize the bigger connections (Large and Standard Ball, Wedge) to treat enormous muscle gatherings; littler connections (Thumb and Cone) work best while focusing on explicit, or difficult to arrive at muscles.
Star Tip: Adjusting the arm position likewise encourages you arrive at parts of the body that can’t be reached with the standard arm places of 90° and 180°. This would likewise assist you with having a superior hold on the percussion gadget.
The connections are produced using non-permeable PU froth.
The material doesn’t retain oils or sweat and a fast swab with a cleaning wipe and your all set.
It would be increasingly sterile to wash and dry before utilizing it on others.
How Often Should You Use it?
Percussion massagers like the G3PRO are structured in view of wellbeing. How protected? The G3PRO can be utilized day by day, dependent upon 2 to 3 times each day.
Theragun suggests 15 minutes for an entire body treatment.
Pace your use so you don’t encounter any reactions.
Who Shouldn’t Use The Theragun G3PRO?
The Theragun is a deductively aligned motor that produces exact speed and plentifulness of 29 and 40 percussions for each moment. This sort of treatment isn’t suggest for certain individuals. Of course, counsel a clinical expert in the event that you endure certain conditions or take blood thinners.
You will need to ensure you get cleared by your primary care physician first on the off chance that you have fringe diabetic neuropathy, hypertension, pneumonic edema, or profound vein apoplexy.
Youngsters and pregnant ladies ought not utilize the Theragun alternative also. Recollect the percussion massagers are helps and ought not be utilized as a treatment for any ailment.
When utilizing any percussive machine or gadget you need to maintain a strategic distance from territories with broken skin, open injuries, or irritation.
Care ought to likewise be taken that the Theragun isn’t utilized on powerless regions of the body, for example, over the heart, the crotch, the head, and along the spine.
The Verdict: Is The Theragun G3PRO Worth The Price?
In case you’re hoping to put resources into a percussion massager that will kill your agony, assist you with recuperating speedier and that amazingly sturdy, you can not turn out badly with the Theragun G3PRO.
The Theragun is the top tier and improved essentially from the past model regarding battery life and significant connections.